Summer months bring fun, sun, and HEAT! Here are so important safety tips to help you stay cool!
- Drink plenty of water; don’t wait until you are thirsty.
- Wear light, loose-fitting clothing.
- Stay out of the sun if possible, and when in the sun wear a hat, preferably with a wide brim, and use sunscreen.
- Avoid strenuous activities if you are outside or in non-air conditioned buildings. If you are working outdoors, take frequent rest and refreshment breaks in a shaded area.
- Never leave children, elderly people or pets unattended in closed cars or other vehicles.
- Check on those who are at high risk to make sure they are staying cool – including seniors who live alone, people with heart or lung disease, and young children.
- Stay cool indoors – if your home is not air conditioned, visit public facilities such as shopping malls and libraries to stay cool.
- For more information on heat related illnesses please see attached and/or visit the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website at http://emergency.cdc.gov/disasters/extremeheat/