PROJECTS BUILT IN PRIOR YEARS CAN BE UPLOADED TO CHEERS FOR 45L TAX CREDIT EVALUATION
Under the provisions of the 45L New Energy Efficient Home Tax Credit, builders, developers, and (sometimes) homeowners, may claim a $2,000 federal tax credit for each new home or dwelling unit that meets the energy efficiency requirements. Most new California homes qualify for this $2,000 credit.
Did you know?
Builders, developers and homeowners can claim the $2,000 tax credit retroactively for up to three years.
Projects completed in 2017-2019 may claim the credit?
Yes. There are typically two ways to go about it:
- If the project was originally registered in CHEERS for California energy code compliance, the project HERS Rater can go back and create the 45L certificate in the CHEERS Registry.
- If the project was NOT originally registered in CHEERS for code compliance, the energy consultant or HERS Rater can upload the project to CHEERS and create the required 45L documents instantly.
What types of projects can qualify for the $2,000 credit?
- Single Family (custom & production home developments)
- Multi Family up to three stories
- Additional Dwelling Units (ADUs) for rent
HERS Raters and Energy Consultants play a crucial role in helping a builder or homeowner claim this credit:
Field inspections are be performed by a certified HERS Rater, verifying the features modeled in the energy design were installed. The typical HERS Rater fee to the builder or homeowner to complete tax credit work is $200-$500 per address.
- Energy Consultants upload the project energy file to CHEERS, which is automatically reviewed by DOE approved 45L software integrated into the CHEERS Registry.