There have been a few sightings of coyotes around Orange County. These animals live quite comfortably in close proximity of human beings. though coyotes are not normally a danger to us. They will display defensive behaviors if threatened or cornered. Coyotes do pose as a threat to our small pets. The following steps can be taken to protect you and your property from coyotes and other wildlife:
- Fence off animal enclosures (fully enclose if possible).
- Keep cats & small dogs indoor or in the close presence of an adult.
- Feed pets indoors.
- Store trash in covered heavy-duty containers.
- Keep yards free from potential shelter such as thick brush & weeds.
- Enclose the bottoms of porches & decks.
- Eliminate potential food & water sources, such as fallen fruit & standing water.
Click here for the informational flyer on coyotes provided by Orange County Animal Care at the Town Hall. For more information, contact OC Animal Care at (714) 935-6848 or visit their website: http://www.ocpetinfo.com/