The City of Villa Park processes passport applications by APPOINTMENT ONLY:

  • Tuesdays from 9:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
  • Thursdays from 2:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. 

For more information and to schedule an appointment, please call City Hall at (714) 998-1500.

To apply for a passport for the first time, you will need to bring the following documents:

  • DS-11 (Application for a U.S. Passport)  - must complete this application prior to your appointment.
  • Original Proof of U.S. Citizenship: Your old passport, birth certificate or naturalization certificate, Report of Birth Abroad. (Please note: California and Texas abstract Birth Certificates and Hospital Certificates are NOT acceptable). 
  • Valid government-issued identification - must bring original identification and a photo copy of it.   
  • Submit one (1) recent 2” x 2” color photographs, full faced with plain white or off-white background. Please note that the City of Villa Park does not take passport photos. You can take passport photos at AAA, your nearest CVS and Walgreens locations, and various other locations throughout Orange County.
  • Two Forms of Payment: Payment to the U.S. Dept. of State (check or money order only), payment to the City of Villa Park (cash, check, money order, debit or credit card). 
  Passport Fee Paid To:
U.S. Department of State 
Execution Fee Paid To:
City of Villa Park 
Total Fee:
(two separate forms of payment)
 Adults [10 Year Passport]
(age 16 and over)
$130.00 $35.00 $165.00
Minors [5 Year Passport]
(age 15 and under)
$100.00 $35.00 $135.00
  Passport Fee Paid To:
U.S. Department of State 
Execution Fee Paid To:
City of Villa Park 
Total Fee:
(two separate forms of payment)
(age 16 and over)
$30.00 $35.00 $65.00
(age 15 and under)
$15.00 $35.00 $50.00
   Fee Paid To:
U.S. Department of State
Fee Paid To:
City of Villa Park  
 Expedite Processing
(3-5 weeks)

Emergency Passports:

Travelers departing within 2 weeks must make an appointment with the Los Angeles Passport Agency at (877) 487-2778 (24-hour appointment scheduling system). Proof of travel within 2 weeks is required. 

For more information, including how long it will take to process and receive your passport book or passport card, please visit the U.S. State Department’s website at

First Time Applicants:

All passport applicants regardless of age must appear in person before a passport agent at the time the passport application is executed. First time passport applicants need to complete a passport application form #DS-11 and report their social security number on the form.  

Please note: children under the age of 16 must appear in person with both parents or legal guardians.  Applicants 16 to 17 years of age must appear in person with one parent or legal guardian.   Applicants under 16 years of age, using a previous passport or Certificate of Citizenship must also provide the certified birth certificate to prove parental relationship. 

Along with the completed application, first time applicants will need to provide the following:

  • Proof of U.S. citizenship. Which can be a previous U.S. passport, or a certified birth certificate, or if applicable, a Certificate of Naturalization, a Certificate of Citizenship, or Report of Birth Abroad. Photocopies of these documents are not acceptable. Please note that applicants born in the State of California need to submit a state-certified long form Certificate of Live Birth. California and Texas birth abstracts and hospital birth records are not acceptable. To obtain your Orange County birth certificate, click here.

    Note: Applicants under 16 years of age presenting a Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), Certificate of Citizenship or Naturalization to show proof of citizenship must also supply a foreign birth certificate showing both parent's names. If the foreign birth certificate is not in English, a certified translation is required. 
  • Proof of Identity. Such as a valid driver’s license, or a government identification card, or a recently issued Certificate of Naturalization or Certificate of Citizenship. The document must include your signature and a photograph that is a good likeness of you. If you can not prove your identity, you must appear with an identifying witness, who is a U.S. citizen or permanent resident alien who has known you for at least 2 years. Your witness must prove his or her identity and complete and sign an Affidavit of Identifying Witness form #DS-71, before the passport acceptance agent.
  • One recent passport photograph. 
  • All application fees.  The passport application fee is $130.00 per person if you are 16 years of age or older, and $100.00 per person if you are under the age of 16. This fee must be paid by check, cashier's check or money order, and is made payable to U.S Department of State. The execution fee is $35.00 per application, and can be paid by cash, check or money order, and is made payable to the City of Villa Park. The same fee is collected at all acceptance facilities, including United States Post Offices.
  • Access a DS-11 Form

Please note: Routine passport applications take approximately 6-8 weeks to process. If you need your passport sooner than this time frame, please refer to the expedited service information below. 

Passport Renewals (Self-Service Form #DS-82):

Please note: appointments are not necessary for renewing your passports. Renewing your passport by mail has been made easy through applying by mail. The fee for passport renewal by mail is $130.00, and must be paid by check, cashier's check or money order, (payable to: Department of State). 

Eligibility to renew your passport by mail is established, if the following four conditions are true:

  • You can submit your most recent passport product(s), which is not mutilated or damaged.
  • You were at least 16 years old when your most recent passport product(s) was issued.
  • You were issued your most recent passport product(s) less than 15 years ago.
  • You presently use the same name as the name listed on your most recent passport product(s) or you have had your name changed by marriage or court order, and can submit proper supporting documentation. 

The addresses for mailing the renewal application are listed on the back of the form (#DS-82).

If you do not meet the previous conditions, you are not eligible to renew your passport by mail. Instead you will need to complete a first-time passport application, form #DS-11, furnish the required documentation, and appear in person at Villa Park City Hall.
If you are eligible to renew your passport by mail, you will need to mail the following items:

  • A completed passport renewal application, form #DS-82.
  • Your most recent passport.
  • One recent passport photograph. It is best to purchase the photograph from a passport photo shop, as they are aware of the precise requirements of passport photographs.
  • The passport renewal fee, in the form of a check, cashier's check or money order, made payable to the U.S. Department of State.
  • If applicable, a marriage certificate or court order indicating your name change. This document must bear an official seal; uncertified copies or notarized documents are not acceptable. 

Expedite Processing Service:

Expedite processing of your application or renewal is available for an additional $60.00 per application. (For renewal-by-mail expedite service, the information would still be mailed to the same addresses listed on the back of the form #DS-82.) With regular or priority mailing, you would receive a passport in the mail in approximately 2-3 weeks. The expedite fee must be ADDED to the application/renewal fee made payable to the U.S. Department of State.

If 1-2 Day Delivery return service of the issued passport is also desired, the cost is $19.53** and this amount should be added to fees paid to the U.S. Department of State.
**Mailing fees are subject to change without notice

If you require a passport in less than twelve weeks, you will need to make an appointment and apply in person at the Los Angeles Passport Agency, located in the Federal Office Building, 11000 Wilshire Blvd., in West Los Angeles. The Agency’s hours are 7:00 am to 3:00 pm, Monday through Friday, excluding holidays. To make an appointment, please call the National Passport Center recorded appointment line at (877) 487-2778 and select prompt #2.  Proof of travel is required.

Lost/Stolen Passport Information:

If your valid passport has been lost or stolen, you will need to complete an original passport application, form #DS-11, and a Statement Regarding Lost or Stolen Passport, form #DS-64, and appear in person. Please bring any previous U.S. passports that you may have and follow ALL first-time passport application instructions.

Persons whose passports have been lost or stolen are not eligible to renew passports by mail. The Statement Regarding Lost or Stolen Passport is not required if your lost or stolen passport is now expired.

For more information about lost or stolen passports, click here.

Passport Changes:

The form DS-5504 may be used within one year of a passport’s issuance for routine services to make a data page change, such as a name change, without charge.  New photos are required.  Instead of amending the passport, a new passport will be issued with new issue and expiration dates.  (This form may always be used for corrections due to printing errors by Department of State.)  If the change occurs more than one year after the issue date, the customer will have to reapply using a DS-82 or DS-11 and pay accordingly. 

For more information about passport changes, click here.

The form is available at City Hall; however, it is the customer’s responsibility to mail it to the address indicated on the form.

Smart Traveler Enrollment Program

The Smart Traveler Enrollment Program is a free service that allows U.S. citizens traveling or living abroad to receive the latest security updates from the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate.

Benefits of enrolling in STEP:

  • You’ll receive the latest safety and security information for your destination country, so you can make informed decisions about your travel.
  • The information you provide enables the U.S. embassy or consulate to contact you in an emergency.

For more information and to sign up click here